Here is a list of toxic ingredients to avoid in your beauty care items!
Print this out and take it shopping with you- this will help you make a healthier choice. Remember, EVERYTHING you apply to your skin goes INTO your body.
*Benzoyl Peroxide: Used in acne products, the MSDS states: Possible tumor promoter. May act as mutagen: produces DNA damage in human and other mammalian cells. Also, toxic by inhalation. Eye, skin and respitory irritant.
*DEA(Diethanolamine), MEA ( Monoethanolamine), TEA(Triethanolamine): This foam booster is a skin/eye irritant and causes contact dermatitis. Easily absorbed theough skin to accumulate in body organs,and brain.
* Dioxin: Won’t appear in ingredients. Often in antibacterial ingredients like triclosan, emulsifiers, PEGs and ethoxylated cleansers like Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Dioxin causes cancer, reduced immunity, nervous system disorders, miscariages and birth deformity.
* DMDM Hydantoin&Urea( Imidazolidinyl): 2 preservatives that release formaldehyde which may cause joint pain, cancer skin reactions, allergies, depression, headaches, chest pain, ear infections,chronic fatigue, dizziness and insomnia.
*FD&C & Pigments- Synthetic colors from coal tar contain heavy metal salts that deposit toxins in skin, causing skin sensitivity/ irritation. Absorption can cause depletion of oxygen and death. Animals studies show almost all are carcinogenic.
* Parabens( Methyl, Butyl, Ethyl, Propyl): Used as preservatives. Not always labled. Used in deodrants& other skin care poducts, have been found in breast cancer tumors. May contribute to sterility in males, hormone imbalances in females & early puberty
* PEG( Polyethlene gylcol) Made by ethoxylating Propylene Glycol. Dangereous levels of dioxin have been found as a by-product to the ethoxylation process. PEGs are in eveything including personal care, babycare and sunscreens.
*Phthalates: Found in many products, usually not listed on lables. Health effects include damage to liver and kidneys, birth defects, decreased sperm count and early breast development in girls and boys.
* Propylene Glycol(PG) & Butylene Glycol : Petroleum plastics. EPA considers PG so toxic it requires gloves, clothing, goggles& disposal by burying. EPA warns against skin contact to prevent brain, liver, and kidney abnormalities.
* Sodium Lauryl Sulfate ( SLS) & Sodium Laureth Sulfate ( SLES): Used in car washes, garage floor cleaner, engine degreaser and 90% of personal -care products that foam. Eye damage, depression, labored breathing, diarrhea, skin irritaion and death
* Sunscreen Chemicals: Avobenzone, benzphenone, ethoxycinnamate, PABA are commonly used ingredients that are known free radical generators and are believed to damage DNA or lead to cancers.
* Triclosan: Synthetic antibacteral ingredient. EPA registers it as a pesticide, posing risks to human health and enviroment. Classified as chlorophenol, chemicals suspected of causing cancer in humans.